Don't Be a Statistic
Statistics kept by the National Fire Protection Agency(NFPA) reveal that there were 501,500 structure fires reported in the U.S. in 2015. These fires resulted in 2,685 deaths, 13,000 injuries, and $10.3 billion in property damage; $7 billion in property losses were caused by home fires. Based on these statistics, a fire was reported every 63 seconds.
Electrical distribution and lighting equipment fires account for 9% of all fires in U.S. households. Knowing which appliances in your household are most likely to cause a fire can help you reduce the chance that it will happen to you.
Dishwashers. If you have ever opened your dishwasher up immediately after the dry cycle is done, you know how hot it gets in there. There are heating elements inside of your dishwasher that dry your dishes. They get a lot of wear and tear as they repeatedly heat up, get wet and cool down. If the element is faulty or has damaged wiring, a fire can easily start.
Many of us don't think to have our dishwashers inspected but it could be a good idea, especially if your house or your dishwasher is more than ten years old.
Dryers. Most of the people I know are aware that the lint trap can be a fire hazard if not cleaned out. The lint can also make its way into the vent and block it so be certain to clean it out fully, each time, including under the lint tray.
If clothing that is contaminated with combustibles like gasoline are put in the dryer, they can start a fire. The same goes for items that contain chemicals that are flammable such as rubber backed rugs or sneakers.
If the exhaust vent for your dryer is improperly installed, blocked or crushed, the inability for heat to escape can cause a fire as well.
Toasters.The toaster is a small appliance that can cause big damage. The cord can become crimped or caught under the element, which can cause it to melt. A failure to clean out the crumb tray is also a culprit in many toaster fires.
With the electricity running to each appliance every day, it's no surprise that fires can occur. In addition to the reasons discussed above, there is also the reality that sometimes a manufacturing fault causes an appliance fire. When it comes down to it, the best thing that you can do to protect your home from fire damage is to only run appliances when you are home. In particular, never run a dryer or dishwasher when you are out and unplug appliances such as the toaster, microwave and coffee maker when not in use.
Nobody ever plans on being the statistic. While not all house fires can be prevented, these simple steps can reduce the chance of it happening to you.